Bookshop Santa Cruz is proud to support our local authors. We handle hundreds of professionally produced and self-published books on consignment each year. This program allows us to devote our resources to prominently featuring consignment titles throughout the store and online. It is our expectation that this program will lead to higher sales and more publicity for our authors.
Please note: program is limited to Bay Area authors only
- Due to an increase in demand, new Promotional packages purchased after October 7, 2022 will not start until services resume on January 6th, 2023.
- New consignment titles registered after November 17th, 2022 are not guaranteed to be processed into our system or placed on our shelves until January 6th, 2023.
For more information on our program and the books we carry, please see our General Program Guidelines and Consignment Submission Guidelines.
If you have specific questions not addressed by our General Program Information or Consignment Submission Guidelines, you can check our Consignment Program FAQ, or please feel free reach out to our Local Author Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consignment Program Offerings:
Basic Registration ($40.00/title):
- In-store inventory listing for consignment title.
- Title will be shelved in our Local Author section and its respective genre section.
Promotional Package (Basic Registration + $110.00):
- Prominently feature your book for at least two weeks a New & Recommended location for your title's genre.
- Display your book for at least two weeks on the Local Author display shelf with a personalized shelftalker.
- List your book in our e-mail newsletter sent to over 20,000 customers.
- Enable customers to buy your book online for the entire time it is in stock at Bookshop.
Please note that due to the high volume of promotional package submissions, it can often take at least 4-6 weeks for books to be placed in the New & Recommended section after the initial drop-off. Each package element is staggered to maximize exposure for the title. Depending on the number of active promotional titles, Local Author displays may take a minimum of 6-8 weeks from package start date. Newsletter features occur in the order by which authors sign-up for promotional packages and often occur after in-store display periods have culminated.
We will ask you to provide additional information for marketing. After fees have been processed, Bookshop Santa Cruz will follow-up to request this information via email. Your book will not appear online or with its shelftalker until we receive this information and it has been processed.
Ready to Register Your Consignment Title?
Step 1: Fill out the Consignment Program Registration Form
Step 2: Submit your Program Fees
Basic Registration: Purchase $40.00 “Consignment Registration Fees”
Promotional Package: Purchase $40.00 “Consignment Registration Fee” AND $110.00 “Promotional Package Fees”. The total for registering a book and selecting the promotional package will be $150.00.
Want to register and/or pay fees in-person?
Visit our store's Front Street Information Desk with five copies of your title and our staff can get your title registered.
Need to mail the books?
Please request a mailing address from our Local Author Coordinator at email@example.com.