This year, Everyone Gets a Book - and Bookshop has something for everyone on your list. From the Literature Lover to the Stranger Things Fan, see our recommendations for each person below.
Our Pick For Pretty Much Everyone
- Michelle Obama!!!
- Lovely, candid, real, inspiring.
- I’m not crying, you’re crying. #happytears
Our Pick for the Delightful & Amused
- Enjoy each day with sweet animal friends.
- A gift that keeps giving all year long!
- Perfect for Mondays, or after reading the news.
Our Pick As a Memoir That Matters
- First-generation Latina University experience at UCSC.
- The power of words, mentors, challenges and grit to follow your dreams.
Our Pick For the Stranger Things Fan
- Behind the scenes look at this most excellent show.
- Seriously, just look at it.
- Interviews, photos, inspiration and easter eggs!
Our Pick for Your White Elephant Recipient
- Great gift for literally anyone.
- Sweet thoughts from the lovely Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Illustrations from the brilliant Jonny Sun.
Our Pick To Stuff Your Stocking
- It’s the Dalai Lama.
- For the Youth of today, and the youthful at any age.
- A rallying cry, calling for real change, real compassion.
Our Pick For the HGTV Obsessed
- Shiplap & subway tiles galore!
- Inside peek at Chip & Jo’s own farmhouse.
- Perfect for the Fixer Upper Faithful!
Our Pick For a Literary Laugh
- Hilarious! Just flip through a few pages, you won’t regret it.
- Perfect for the literary postcard writer, or to decorate a literary space.
- Tom Gauld is magic.
Our Pick for This year’s Hygge (Hint: It’s Forest Bathing)
- Be inspired, even if you don’t leave the house.
- Full of quotes, prompts and real practice.
- Give the gift of a forest walk, a breath of fresh air
Our Pick For Speculative Fiction
- Giant robot? Alien? Public Art? Let’s call it Carl.
- Love letter to the digital age and its complications.
- How people love, connect & create belief + science.
Our Pick For Your Hometown Sleuth
- Keep Santa Cruz Weird meets our deep, dark secrets.
- Local authors.
- California golden shores or bloody shores?
Our Pick For the Animal Lover
- Award-winning writer and her 13 favorite friends.
- Beautiful tribute to the goodness of animals.
- Sweet illustrations—the perfect gift.
Our Pick As a Novel for Everyone
- A World War II espionage story told from the London homefront.
- Witty and dry British humor perfected.
- A delicate house of cards.
Our Pick For the Persistent Resister
- President Obama’s Official White House Photographer, “throwing shade” at Trump.
- Portraits of courage vs. chaos.
- A picture is worth a thousand tweets.
Our Pick For Sci-Fi That’s Truly Special
- Fantastic storytelling in an unusual format.
- Beautiful dystopia.
- Haunting and memorable.
Our Pick For the NPR Fitness Fanatic
- Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me + running? Yes, please!
- A how-to-guide on running through life's obstacles.
- Humor and insight to last longer than 26.2. miles.
Our Pick as the Quirky Bio (Plus Birds!)
- Like birds? Packed with raven history, behavior, awesomeness.
- Meh on birds? Skaife was too, at first. His life is fascinating, with or without.
- Can't beat a British accent!
Our Pick For the Savvy Scientist
- Neil DeGrasse Tyson gets real about the link between scientific advancement and the military.
- Thoughtful, engaging and so important.
Our Pick For a Good Giggle (Ron-Swanson-style)
- First of all, who doesn’t love Ron Swanson?
- Full of advice and hilarious hijinks.
- Will restore your faith in love everlasting.
Our Pick For the Devoted Californian
- The future of politics, immigration and work will be found in California.
- The history of Reagan country turned resistors as a national lesson.
- Call to action, call to hope.
Our Pick As the Armchair Espionage
- Espionage triangle between the US, Britain and the Soviet Union.
- Page turner for fans of John le Carre.
- Ancient history or current affairs? You decide.
Our Pick For the One Drink Philosopher
- Yuval Harari does it again.
- Turns his eye to the immediate present.
- Excellent writing, though provoking insights, unique observations and big questions.
Our Pick For the History Buff
- Master storyteller of one of the most heroic battles in US Military history.
- A call to remember this history and the extraordinary ordinary men involved.
Our Pick As One Satisfying Read
- One sit read that will keep you gripped to your seat.
- Murder and comedy—a perfect combination.
- Wholly original.
Our Pick For the Armchair Investigator
- Inside scoop on bio tech start up, Theranos.
- Gripping story of its rise and fall.
- The investigative reporting book of the year.
Our Pick For Your Bookish Friend
- New Year’s resolution that can change your book life.
- Perfect family conversation starter.
- Only 1000?
Our Pick For the Music Lover
- So much in here to love.
- Written by Mike D and Ad-Rock…the real deal.
- Decades of Beastie Boys, music and cultural history.
- Epic trip down memory lane.
Our Pick For Your Coven
- Rituals, spells and potions to live your best life.
- Self-care with magic.
- Good for the beginner for experienced occultist.
Our Pick For Your Green-Thumbed Friend
- Years of gardening experience distilled into 100 simple rules.
- Fun, easily digestible format.
- Perfect for the blossoming green thumb in your life.
Our Pick For the Poetically Inclined
- Patti Smith is a poet in any form—beautiful writing, exquisite memoir.
- Generously illustrated with photos and ephemera.
- A love story to life, to youth, NYC and Robert Mapplethorpe.
Our Pick As the Dark, But Damn Good Read
- Gothic and atmospheric haunted woods story.
- Perfect to frighten, and east-to-devour.
- Wolves and witches galore.
Our Pick For the Budding World Traveler
- A world passport for adventurous kids.
- Mysterious, beautiful, and educational.
- Showcases the interconnectedness of the world.
Our Pick for the D&D Fanatic in Your Life
- Big, beautiful book on the history of D&D.
- Nerd catnip.
- Perfect for buttering up your DM.
Our Pick for the Literature Lover
- More short stories by Lucia Berlin, author of A Manual for a Cleaning Women, which took the literary world by storm.
- A posthumous collection, so savor each story.
- Think Carver, Munro, Chekhov.
Our Pick For the Surfer in Your Life
- Comprehensive and fully updated, bringing regional guides into one volume.
- Perfect for any surfer so much to explore.
- A must-have on any surfer’s bookshelf.
Our Pick Because it’s Just Lovely
- Beautiful ode to nature.
- A way to remember the words recently removed from the oxford children’s dictionary.
- Meditation of what is still important in the world.
Our Pick for Your Quirky Scientist
- Manual for your broken-down time machine
- Instructions to reinvent civilization
- Review of actual science from the Stone Age to now, and beyond
Our Pick for the Literature Loving Whodunnit
- Latest in the world of beloved Chief Inspector Armand Gamache & the village of Three Pines.
- A mystery packed with thoughtfulness, charm, humor, & real world concern.
Our Pick for Your Adventure Seeking Goblin
- Hilarious and fun quest for glory and tacos.
- Great for fantasy or D & D fans.
- Lots of staff love!
Our Pick as an Engaging Biography
Our Pick for the Inspired
Our Pick as a Literary Romp
- Barbados to the Arctic, London to Morocco - a literary trip to far-off places.
- Themes of freedom and belonging.
- Just won the Giller Prize for best Canadian book this year.
Our Pick as a Novel of Clever Absurdity
Our Pick For the Foraging Creative
- Foraging guide + actual ink recipes: pokeberry, anyone?
- Beautiful and resourceful, perfect for Santa Cruz crafters.
- Bonus: forward by Ondaatje…yes!
Our Pick for an Admirer of Beauty
Our Pick for the Conscientious Crafter
Our Pick for Short Stories with Character
Global Economy as You've Never Seen It